Subject-Verb agreement, commonly known as SV Agreement, is a simple concept that many writers still struggle with. It refers to the agreement between the subject of a sentence and the verb used. In other words, the verb used should match the number and person of the subject in terms of whether it is singular or plural.
The essence of SV agreement is to ensure that writers express their ideas and thoughts in a clear and grammatically correct manner. In this article, we will discuss the basics of SV agreement, including some examples to help you understand the concept better.
Basic Rules of SV Agreement
1. Singular subjects should have singular verbs, while plural subjects should have plural verbs.
– He runs in the morning. (singular subject and singular verb)
– They run in the morning. (plural subject and plural verb)
2. Indefinite pronouns such as anyone, everybody, someone, nobody, each, and everyone are singular, and they require singular verbs.
– Each of the students is responsible for their assignment. (singular verb)
– Everybody loves pizza. (singular verb)
3. Compound subjects joined by `and` are generally plural, and they require plural verbs.
– Kelly and Tom are going to the library. (plural subject and plural verb)
4. When two or more singular subjects are joined by `or` or `nor`, the verb agrees with the closest subject.
– Neither the cat nor the dog is allowed in the room. (singular verb)
5. When a collective noun is the subject, it can either take a singular or plural verb, depending on the intended meaning. If the noun refers to a group acting as a single entity, a singular verb is used, and if the noun refers to individual members of the group, a plural verb is used.
– The team is practicing in the morning. (singular verb, referring to the team as a single entity)
– The team are disagreeing on their next move. (plural verb, referring to the members of the team)
6. When a subject is separated from the verb by a phrase or a clause, always ensure the verb agrees with the subject, not the noun within the phrase or clause.
– The book on the shelf, as well as the pen, has to be returned. (singular verb agrees with `book`, the subject)
In conclusion, mastering the rules of SV agreement is essential for effective communication in writing. It helps to convey ideas clearly and grammatically, ensuring readers can understand the intended message with ease. By applying these rules and using examples, you can improve the overall quality of your writing and enhance your skills as a professional.